The RTBG is a state government statutory organisation, governed by the Royal Tasmanian Botanical Gardens Act 2002 and administered by the Department of Natural Resources and Environment Tasmania.
A Board appointed by the Minister manages the RTBG under the Act. These members include:
- Ms Kathryn McCann (Chair)
- Ms Abigail Foley (Member)
- Ms Therese Taylor (Member)
- Mr Daniel Leesong (Member)
- Mr Ian Cresswell (Member)
- Mr Philip Mussared (Member)
- Ms Vanessa Pinto (COO, Department of Natural Resources and Environment Tasmania)
The current business model provides for an annual state government grant supporting the management of the Gardens.